Tuesday, January 28

Reminder for Wednesday!

Guest Speaker: Colleen Drobot at PAC General Meeting

 

Cultivating Resilience in Children

Wed. Jan 29, 6:30pm - Main School Library


Throughout life, our children face disappointment, loss and circumstances they cannot change.
How can we as parents cultivate resilience so that our children will not only endure these experiences but will gain strength and confidence in their ability to cope with them?
In this presentation, Colleen Drobot will uncover the roots of resilience and offer ideas as to how parents can foster this process in their children. For more info, see poster on the blog.

*Childcare will be provided.

Tuesday, January 14

Presentation for Grade 7-10 Parents

Social and Emotional Learning:

Promoting Children's Success in School and in Life.

 

Dr. Kimberley Schonert-Reichl's presentation explores predictors of academic success in youth - How social and emotional wellbeing, life experiences and relationships can have critical and long lasting effects on adolescent mental health.

 
Jan. 21 2014        Prince of Wales Secondary - 2250 Eddington Drive
Feb. 17 2014       Vancouver Tech Secondary  - 2600 East Broadway
Mar. 11 2014      Charles Tupper Secondary  - 419 East 24th Avenue

 

Sessions start at 7p.m. and end at 8:30p.m.
All sessions are free. Refreshments will be served.

 
For more info, click on the poster:
 

December 11, 2013 PAC Exec Meeting

Present
Christy Thomas                Co-Chair Main (Took Minutes)
Deb Copeland                   Co-Chair Main
Kerryn Williams                Co-Chair Annex
Andrea Sinclair                  Vice Chair Main
Kelly Maxwell                    Treasurer
Andrea Mitchell                Member at Large
Mimi Wong                        Member at Large
Rachelle Leduc                  Member at Large
Tami Friesen                      Member at Large
Judith Steedman              Member at Large
Tara Robens                      Member at Large
Ania Jakobs                       Member at Large
Adrienne Wang                Member at Large
Maggie Lancaster             (New) Member at Large
Karl Graham                      Vice Principal Charles Dickens Main
Lisa Nucich                         Vice Principal Charles Dickens Annex

Regrets
Nicole Nozick                    Co-Secretary
Phil Benson                       Co-Secretary
Brad White                        Vice Chair Annex
Cathy Golf                          Member at Large
Anne-Marie Long             Member at Large
Jenny Pronovost               Member at Large
Leone Hall                          Member at Large
Aasia Paterson                  Member at Large
Scott Urquhart                  Member at Large
Bob Moore                         Principal (Interim) Charles Dickens Elementary


1)      Agenda for tonight’s meeting was amended & approved (Tara 1st / Andrea S. 2nd / Passed)

2)      Minutes approved from Exec Meeting November 13, 2013 (Christy 1st / Andy M. 2nd / Passed)

3)      School Update – Karl

-          Bob has been talking about use of school grounds with VSB and grounds & garden team

-          Lots going on at both schools / Rundown of school Events

4)      Annex Update – Lisa

-          Expressed Anxiety Speaker PAC General Meeting went well & good attendance.

-          Kindness Event on the Horizon at Annex - Teachers have embraced.

-          Volunteers signing up & being oriented - 78 parents completed to date!

5)      PAC Support for Family in Kim’s Class

-          Vote: $200 PAC Budget to support family

(Deb 1st / Andrea M. 2nd / Passed)

6)      Treasurer Update – Kelly Maxwell

-          Review of Financials & where they stand to date.

-          More Technology Funds could be allocated. Discussion ensued about unspent funds & clarity around invoices that may not have come in yet from both schools.

-          Motion to Allocate unallocated technology funds. Main: 395.79  Annex: 115.76 

-          (First: Andrea / Deb: Second / Passed)

-          Admin. to follow up on what has been spent & what has not been spent to date of previously allocated funds.

7)      Gaming & Funding

-          Bob & Lisa to follow up on what has been spent & what has not been spent to date of previously allocated funds.

-          Kerryn Williams suggested admin provides us a good solid list (excel sheet) of what technology has been purchased as each item is ordered & purchased. Working list accurate & up to date to be submitted to Technology committee & maintained by admin & committee as items are purchased.

-          Use of list will be for tracking & for accountability to donors.

-          Discussion about field trips & distribution of funds wrt fairness to each division.

-          Discussion around playground equipment funding with gaming funds (balls, skipping ropes, etc.) for use at recess/lunch.

-          Table this allocation until teachers submit their field trip wishes in January.

-          Karl to ask teachers to put proposals in by January 31, 2014 for field trips (to spend gaming funds at Main - approximately $10 / child).

8)      Toastmasters Club Funding (submission for PAC Gaming Funds)

-          $360 to run club for 18 students

-          Discussion & Vote to Fund 

(Kelly 1st / Deb 2nd / Passed)

9)      Garden & VSB Proposal & Community Street Update

-          Discussion around the fixing of the drainage in the playground.

-          Quote for the fix on the playground drainage - $4,900 from VSB to fix the drainage problem. Discussion around drainage.

-          Proposal put forward by Andrea M. to allocate the original $15,000 playground funds into: drainage, garden re-furbish, technology & funds to protect for overages until community street is complete. Discussion followed.

-          Motion to spend the $4900 from the garden funds to fix the drainage issue in the school playground

(Andrea S. 1st  / Judith S. 2nd / Passed)

-          Plan to leave the remainder of funds until community street complete in Spring then re-open discussion & Andrea M.’s plan for remaining funds.

10)   Holiday Hampers Update (Tami)

-          25 Families Being Supported this Year. Need is greater than ever (10 more kids at Main than in previous years with more families pending) and resources will be stretched.

-          Wrapping party at her house on Dec. 17 - Still need more Day wrappers (Noon - 3pm). Bring your own scissors & beverage (cheese & treats will be served).

11)   February PAC General Meeting Presenter Discussion

-          FOSL - Friends of School Libraries (Lorraine) Aasia to follow up on ideas & connect with Lorriaine. Idea came forward that FOSL may be better as a start to a meeting rather than a whole meeting.

-          Growth Mind Sets (Carol Dweck) - Teaching Grit / Resiliance / Connectedness (Lisa). Many supported this idea - sounds like a good speaker.

-          Power of  Parenting another idea. Patti Drobot potential (Tara)

-          Aasia is coordinator for presenters and will follow up on above ideas & get final info & vote via email. Last PAC speaker of school year will be Feb. 26, 2014.

12)   Adrianne Wang - Voted in as Member at Large

(Kelly 1st / Kerryn 2nd / Passed)


13)   January PAC Main Event / General Meeting in January - January 29, 2014

-          Multi-cultural Pot Luck Dinner or Dance at Main or Appies & Dance Combined

-          Discussion around numbers & feasibility - could both schools come or would it be too many people?

-          Chat about Plans & no clear consensus on what should happen or what type of event PAC would like to see.

-          Kelly M suggested further discussion with Teachers about previous Pot Luck & use of hallways & classroom.

14)   New Business (very rushed)

-          Judith brought up: Basketball Hoops - too high attached to school. No kids can reach them - they are a non-standard height and WAY too high for kids. Could something be done about hoops potentially to get them lowered & easier to shoot on?

-          Judith: Suggestion to lobby the Government for proper funding in schools instead of fundraising for technology. Discussion tabled for next meeting.

·         Upcoming meetings

-          Next PAC Executive Meeting is scheduled for January 8, 2014

-          Next PAC General Meeting is scheduled for January 29, 2014

-          Note: January is a LONG month. Happy Holidays!

November 13, 2013 PAC Exec Meeting

Present

Christy Thomas                  Co-Chair Main
Deb Copeland                    Co-Chair Main
Kerryn Williams                 Co-Chair Annex
Andrea Sinclair                  Vice Chair Main
Brad White                         Vice Chair Annex
Kelly Maxwell                    Treasurer
Phil Benson                        Co-Secretary
Aasia Paterson                  Member at Large
Andrea Mitchell                Member at Large
Jenny Pronovost               Member at Large
Leone Hall                          Member at Large
Mimi Wong                        Member at Large
Rachelle Leduc                  Member at Large
Scott Urquhart                  Member at Large
Tami Friesen                      Member at Large
Judith Steedman               Member at Large
Tara Robens                       Member at Large
Bob Moore                         Principal (Interim) Charles Dickens Elementary
Karl Graham                       Vice Principal Charles Dickens Main
Lisa Nucich                         Vice Principal Charles Dickens Annex

Absent
Nicole Nozick                     Co-Secretary
Cathy Golf                           Member at Large
Ania Jakobs                        Member at Large
Anne-Marie Long             Member at Large

1)      Agenda for tonight’s meeting was approved

2)      Minutes approved from Exec Meeting 16 October

3)      School Update – Bob Moore

-          Talked about use of school grounds

-          Staff have been checking if children have eaten lunch before they go outside.  Not always the case
4)      Main School Update – Karl Graham

-          Report cards will be issued soon

-          Student teachers have been in the school with lots of enthusiasm.

5)      Annex Update – Lisa Nucich

-          Report cards will be issued soon

-          Indicated that Saleema Noon PAC General Meeting went well

-          Remembrance Day ceremony was effective and the kids were very respectful

-          Annex will be getting another bike rack (provided for free, to be installed by School Board)


6)      Treasurer Update – Kelly Maxwell
-          At October disbursements meeting, PAC decided to allocate $200 surplus funds to Annex General disbursements (funds rolled over from last year).  This money was spent on Thanksgiving and math applications.

-          In fairness, PAC allocated the same amount (per student capita) for Main School, also from surplus funds

-          BC government advised that DJ for a party is deemed an extra curricular activity and therefore can be funded by Gaming Funds.

-          Kelly also obtained feedback from government that a visiting artist can be funded through gaming funds if they don’t augment the curriculum (i.e. nice to have)

-          Moved by Kelly Maxwell, seconded by Christy Thomas that we would Vladine’s artist visits from Gaming Funds ($300).  PAC Exec voted to approve.

7)      Christy Thomas indicated that PAC has Gaming money ($5600) left over and suggested that    school staff be made aware of this.  Perhaps staff can make disbursement applications for this money.  However, it is not easy for PAC to spend these Gaming funds on technology.  Bob will present this to staff.

8)      Bob & Karl suggested that perhaps Gaming Funds can be spent on equipment (balls, skipping ropes, etc.) for use at recess/lunch.  As well, money can be spent on transportation for field trips.


9)      Tara Robens was voted in by PAC as a Member at Large.


10)   Upcoming Events

-          18 December – Main School Holiday Event at Main School will be organized by the teachers.   PAC has offered support (e.g. serve hot chocolate, etc.).  Kerryn offered to make elf hats for any kids who might serve hot chocolate.

-          Christy Thomas suggested PAC put on a January party for both schools.

-          Kerryn Williams indicated it would be nice to put together an Annex social for the parents.

-          29 November there will be a Hannukah stations party at the Annex (organized by Tara Robens).  Note they are currently looking for a guitar player.


11)   Parent Class Representatives (Andrea Sinclair & Rachelle)

-          Both schools have parent representatives for all the classes!

-          Good Main School feedback with classroom parent representatives sending emails to other parents, etc.

-          Also good feedback from the Annex but some concerns received that parents don’t want to receive too many emails.

-          Generally speaking, the idea is to take the load off Vivien (Main School) and Patty (Annex) so that they don’t have to send so many PAC communications to parents.

12)   Celia Brinkerhoff has agreed to be Volunteer Coordinator.


13)   Reverse Lunch Discussion (Mimi Wong)

-          Rachelle Leduc spoke to a teacher friend over the summer who advised that grades K-3 students seem to need lunch right at 12:00 noon but grades 4-7 students seem to be able to handle the reverse lunch concept.

-          Bob reiterated that Reverse Lunch is likely not a solution to the issue of students not eating their lunches.  More important to check if kids have eaten lunch before they are permitted to go outside.

-          Parents can advise the school if their children are coming home with uneaten lunches and staff will take extra care.


14)   PAC Meeting Set Up & Tear Down

-          Andrea asked that if PAC Exec meetings attend the General Meetings, please let’s take time to set up & tear down so that the staff doesn’t have to


15)   Criminal Record Checks & New Rules for School Volunteers (Bob Moore)

-          School trustees apparently have taken advice from lawyers and are now trying to establish more consistency in managing volunteers (in particular for volunteers working alone with students)

-          There is a larger document package dealing with procedures and instructions for managing volunteers, ensuring volunteers comply, etc.

-          Volunteer Conduct Agreement must be signed after they go through the Volunteer Orientation.

-          Volunteer coaches are not permitted to act alone; they must have an active school board employee present.

-          Ongoing volunteers (e.g. Chess Club, Volunteer Reading) will have to undergo a criminal record check with their local police department.  The school will issue a document to discount the cost of the record check from $75 to $25.

-          These requirements are to ensure volunteers are knowledgeable about the procedures and requirements to assure security of the students.

-          Lisa Nucich advised that as it stands, volunteers will have to pay the fee themselves.  It is possible that this fee will be waived but that is not confirmed.  There was some discussion that perhaps the PAC should pay for these costs.

16)   Holiday Hampers Update (Tami Friesen)

-          Holiday Hampers will be done at both the Main School and the Annex.

-          Hampers will be distributed just before the December break.

-          Giving Trees scheduled to be erected on 28 November

-          Donations received until 13 December

-          Wrapping Party scheduled for 17 December

-          Looking for volunteers for shopping, for wrapping and for snacks for the wrapping party.

-          Tami advised she will host the wrapping party at her place.


 17)   Meeting Update – Harm Reduction & Police (Christy Thomas)

-          Meeting took place last week

-          Harm reduction people are there to protect street workers (clean needles, etc.)

-          Police are there also to protect the workers and ensure the issue doesn’t impact the neighbourhoods.

-          There was some suggestion that street worker issues (needles, condoms, etc.) have gotten worse since the Dickens Community Patrols have stopped.

-          Apparently VSB is now dispatching patrols to the schools in the mornings to check for needles, condoms, etc.

-          We can encourage neighbourhood residents to call the non emergency line or 911 when we see a drug drop, prostitution agreement, etc.

18)   Next General Meeting 27 November

-          Cheree would like to make a quick presentation at beginning of meeting to tell parents how to access their children’s online records.

-          Anxiety speaker scheduled for this date.


19)   Andrea Mitchell advised that Greenway workers are breaking ground on Friday 15 November!!


20)   Kerryn Williams talked about Neighbourhoods Matching Fund grants are available (mentioned on today’s DCG Listserve).  Next application deadline is apparently 30 November.


21)   Aasia Paterson is interested in putting together a book drive.


22)   Upcoming meetings

-          Next PAC General Meeting is scheduled for 27 December 2013

-          Next PAC Executive Meeting is scheduled for 11 December 2013